Friday, August 29, 2014

"Lost in Arles" found on live Canadian television!



I am a shy person by nature. Acting was a boon for me as it gave me the opportunity to escape that inner shrinking by being able to play other people, often outrageous characters such as Cleopatra. But I could always hide behind the idea that it wasn't really me up there - even though of course it was - by giving myself something of a "Go Free" pass. 

So when I received an email from Paul Hughes, a producer for CTV's Canada AM asking if I would be interested in being interviewed live for their national morning news show, my first thought was "Uh-oh." He wasn't interested in seeing a character but me! But...at the same time...*big intake of breath*...in turning 45 I made a bit of a promise to myself to step up to the plate a bit more as well as to let go of some of the old habits or ways of thinking that aren't serving me well. Plus, as I mentioned previously, my horoscope says it is supposed be a good year for me but that can't happen if I say non or peut-ĂȘtre automatically (which I can have a tendency to do, as embarrassed as I am to admit it). So I accepted. 


Paul was very reassuring as they started filming other episodes in Provence. "It will be fun," he wrote. "Well, ok, then, just have fun," I told myself. As luck would have it, I arrived early on the day of the broadcast, so I was able to meet Paul (delightful and a fellow red-head!), the crew and the host, Jeff Hutcheson, while they filmed what are called "teasers" - think of them as lead-ins to a story - and two other segments, all while flipping back and forth with the show in Canada. I couldn't get over Jeff's incredible ease and his encyclopedic memory. I would mention off the cuff some little historical tidbit about where we were standing and he would seamlessly incorporate it into the next piece without the blink of an eye. It was inspiring to see someone so bien dans leur peau, so when it was our time to go live, I told myself, "Breathe. Smile. And just continue the conversation." 

Here is a link to a video of the segment:

Or take a look at this (hopefully) direct link on Google Plus:










Of course, the filming passed in the blink of an eye. Paul had liked the post that I did on our recent move and so we focused on that, which was fun. Afterwards, he introduced me to Chris Flak, a producer for CTV's Morning Live show in Vancouver. Their team were also doing direct coverage from the South of France and would I be interested in being on that show as well? Why not? The same wonderful crew prepped me and I met the host, Marke Dreisschen and we chatted about dogs. As they were filming from the arena, a small crowd gathered to watch, including my honey, Remi. After an even quicker blink, it was over. I said my grateful goodbyes while everyone was already moving on to the next story. 

I do want to thank Paul for contacting me. Everyone involved in the shoot couldn't have been nicer. It was a really interesting experience and I have to say that I enjoyed being in front of the camera again, even if - or especially - under such different circumstances. And while I don't think that I could hold up to Eleanor Roosevelt's famous quote: "Do one thing everyday that scares you," I have to say that it felt pretty great to face my fears on that one particular day and to be introduced to new readers to boot...Merci, CTV!



PS. This post is for my Sister, Robin, who asked that I share this with you. As she is so wonderful, I couldn't refuse, even though I certainly didn't plan on it originally...I told you I am shy...

Happy Labor Day weekend for those that are celebrating...

39 comments:

  1. YAY! Thanks for doing a post on your experience being interviewed for a premiere morning tv program!!! I can't be the only one of your fans interested in how this went down and wanting to see a clip! It's funny, the notion of a shy actress, but I can relate! But one look at your interview shows us why you were accepted into the very prestigious Yale School of Drama masters acting program - you shine; you've got "it"! (to say nothing of your brilliance in all of the classical roles I've seen you do; that's another blog post!). Though I know you don't write for accolades, I'm glad that your column got you some exposure - who knows what could happen this year? The sky's the limit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AWESOME Heather - SO COOL! And lovely to see and hear you too! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A most deserved recognition, Heather! No telling what this could lead to. Most exciting and a nod to your talents!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Your romance is a great story and Arles makes it even more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Robin! Heather, that was a treat....you were so fluent, as if just a chat! Was also a treat to hear you and see you and your wonderful yellow shoes, the perfect touch! Congratulations on being "found" by Canadian TV....and a drink of Rose' to what might come next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! You are a star! I love your writing and I would love to see TV travel segments with you hosting them and taking people all around Arles and the other places you and Remi wander to. And, of course the pups would have to be in some of them, and Remi, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s wonderful to see and hear you.
    I’m glad the TV conversation affirms and recognizes you and your work as what Arles is, a beauty and treasure in Provence. Congratulations Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful recognition of your beautifully written blog which has enriched the lives of many of us. You are also "a natural" in front of the camera. Bon weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were great. Yay! And I took notice of those espadrilles! Thanks so much for sharing. So good to see you. Waving to everyone from Coeur d'Alene this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've bookmarked this post for further exploration as I'm traveling just now and don't have much internet access. I'm so glad you shared this information! Shine on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing the link. It was great fun to actually hear your voice after reading your words for years. Bravo! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely segment and you "acted" your part really well...not the shy type at all! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have been following along and its always a great break in my busy life. This one was especially fun. Carlos saw you around your move, I know you were swamped. Other Lost in Arles trivia....did you know you are seen in street view of Google earth with your pooches? I hope you are settled and your water is running clear. We bought the Jute espadrilles with laces the first summer...I can only get away with the sky blues in France, the other two pairs are in Vegas. Neat to see my bathroom in your moving pics now broadcast in Canada. Small world, rose colored contacts....Embroiled in the legal drama here from last May's mishap in Arles. We have also described Arles as a living theater set, verbatim. Making a brief visit after the next Feria and will call this time if okay. You radiate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Mike! It has been ages! And it was lovely seeing Carlos even though it was so fast - yes, we were crazed. But please do give me a ring when you next come back and I am really in a Google Earth shot with the dogs? I need more info please...
      Bisous...

      Delete
    2. I am so bad at this....writing back without being signed on or hitting the wrong button...rehearsal...
      Heather I see you on Google Earth using the ipad application and you are still there with pups talking with a Nana and you are both wearing brown tones. I type in my address and then zoom into the area and then take the little street view man and drag him down Rue de la Liberte past Rue Bareme and if you dont see it do a 360 and you are sure to find yourself. Looks like a return from a morning walk with the dogs by the direction of the sun, your clothing and the direction you are facing. I dont see it if I drag the man onto the place du forum in front of my building. I found it when I was ArlesSick---a twisted version of homesickness.....

      Delete
    3. Dang! I don't have an ipad and I think my application for my computer is too old - bummer! But it still makes me laugh to know it is there... :)

      Delete
  14. This is wonderful. So pleased you said YES. Judi of Little House suggests you could do travel segments with the puppers. Networks, please take note!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! Great interview
    You are the amazing you I think of you as. Somehow, though, I kept expecting you to speak French and the puppers to fly by with Remi. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lovely thing for you to say and I am grateful for it! And in the second interview I mistakenly spoke a word of French -- oops!

      Delete
  16. Your sister is right! You should share this wonderful news with us! Congratulations. I'm so happy for you.

    xo
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  17. Even, unfortunately, I wasn't able to open your link, I'm quite sure that you was/are the perfect presenter for the
    Provence. ...and so good you overcome your shyness which made you so relaxed and pretty. Perhaps that interview leads to a new chapter in your life. All my best...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks to your sister who promoted you in that way and who revealed the interview to us! Who else should talk about Arles on the Canadian TV if not you! It only makes sense. And you in front of the camera makes sense too.

    Of course it would not have fit your sublime attitude to promote yourself here although you could have done that. That would have made sense too. In your place I would have had a blackout in front of the camera!
    So good you have faced that fear! I need to do that too. And there are still so many to face //:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew. So very true Silke...one at a time...

      Delete
  19. Wonderful! That was a really fun interview, and I could not help but notice the shoes!! I am also shy...and an opera singer....if you can believe that! I so envy people who can be at a party and break into song; I can never do that! I can't think of something to sing, I forget all the words, I can't choose a key....oh it's endless. So much easier when I am on the stage in front of 3000 people.

    Good for you for trying something that scares you, and hitting it out of the park!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That completely makes sense to me too. Even when it is just your friends and they would only be cheering you on! We are odd birds, Rebecca, let's face it. :) And what is crazy is that I was pretty fearless when I was acting - Naked at the end of the Dance of the Seven Veils? No Problem!

      Delete
  20. Thank you for the sisterly pressure Robin, and hourray Heather!!
    It was lovely to get to hear you speak and see you move after years of an imaginary voice reading your poetic words. So glad you overcame your shyness to share your presence with us.
    Many wonderful wishes for your 45th year to continue on with happy surprises!
    ...And congratulations on your move, may you be happy and thrive there in your new abode. ...I have moved 13 times in the last 11 years, 6 of which were transcontinental...moves are always challenging, no matter how far...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Aurelia (such a beautiful name!), you have moved more than anyone I have ever heard! That is incredible!!! I hope that you are happy and well installed where you are now. And each of your wishes and words were more lovely than the last...thank you.

      Delete
  21. Heather, you did an incredible job - you're such a natural. I must admit that I scrolled down to see if you were wearing espadrilles. Love them!

    Thank you for sharing this piece with your fans. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe yep had to wear the espis - and was ready to premote Jute if they asked!

      Delete
  22. Hello Heather,

    We watched the clip......such fun!

    You came over so wonderfully well. Relaxed yet passionate about everything, this is just the person we have come to know and admire. A great advertisement for Arles and, we are sure, a most exciting experience for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, my Gawd, Heather! How much do I love this?!?!

    Thank you so much for linking the clip. It is such a wonderful thing to see you 'live' and 'in action!' It made me feel this much closer to a cup of actual and not subliminal coffee with you. Heather, I really, really appreciate this post. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that is the case then I am super grateful that I shared it. How I would like to have that coffee one day...my Suzahmahtoozle.

      Delete
  24. You were great Heather and it looks like you had fun. Oh, and you don't seem so shy. I doubt I would have had the courage to talk live in front of a camera.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So happy your sister twisted your arm to share your CTV interview with us! You are so very at ease as the camera rolls...such a natural and a charming ambassador for Arles! It is nice to be able to put a voice to your written words!
    With the sepia toned shades of Autumn quickly approaching, I look forward to seeing your new surroundings bathed in Autumn...and the pups, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh, I think that I promised you a post on the pups already - I need to get on it!

      Delete
  26. Great interview! Enjoyed "seeing" you on TV.

    ReplyDelete

Your responses are what makes this blog so special to me. I love hearing from you. Thank you for visiting!

*Anonymous comments are no longer accepted and those left on posts two days after publication or more will be published after moderation. So not to worry, they will arrive and again, I appreciate them all so very much...Merci!*