Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Provencal charm at the Domaine de Valdition, part deux





I have to say that it is beyond amazing to me that I am now at the point, four and a half years in with Lost in Arles, that I need to update posts! But there is something of the "I am still here!" Happy Birthday tune to be sung about it as well, isn't there?


When out with Remi in the pups roaming the Alpilles, I reminded Mr. Photographer that we were close to the Domaine de Valdition and why not stop by and pick up a little something to parch our dry throats? *hint, hint*


It was only after I stepped into the cool of the boutique (kept purposefully darkened during the blare of our summer, so I hope you will excuse the grain in the photos, I tried, sans trépied) that something seemed a bit off...


...despite the really gorgeous elegance around me that I had remembered from my last visit...full of pretty much everything that you could wish for to make a Provençal kitchen homey...


...from sets de table proclaiming that tomatoes have been harvested "since always"...


...ceramic hens and delicate candle holders to light up the terrace at night...


...to a range of local honey both sucré and a bit salé...


...and not to mention the absolutely quintessential tablecloth so that all of your meals are comme il faut!


It was all intensely familiar and yet..."Is this the same bou..." I started to ask a young woman whose face I recognized as she served a tasting from behind the counter. "Ah, non," she quickly cut me off to end my confusion, "we moved the boutique two kilometers up the road from where it was before." Oh, thank goodness, I haven't completely lost my mind...yet. 

The new boutique and tasting room is just as wonderful as before - truly one of the prettiest in this corner of Provence - but that doesn't change what we were really there for, the wine. I am happy to report that the Domaine is continuing to bloom, winning a bronze medal at the prestigious Concours Général Agricole de Paris for their 2014 rosé Tradition (yes, we bought a few bottles of this). 

The estate is huge, covering 90 hectares with a highly unusual amount of varietals for these parts - especially when you consider that Valdition's wines are nearly all bio or organic. Here is a list of what is grown on the property:
  1. Cabernet-sauvignon, Carignan, Cinsault, Grenache Noir, Marselan, Mourvèdre, Petit Verdot and Syrah for the reds.
  2. Bourboulenc, Chardonnay, Chasan, Clairette Blanche, Grenache Blanc, Macabeu, Muscat Petit grain, Roussane, Vermentino,  Viognier and Pinot Grisfor the whites.

If you would like to find out more, then by all means please read my initial post about the Domaine by clicking here.

I definitely stand by what I wrote in 2012: "There is something so timeless and beyond time about this special place." And I most certainly recommend that you stop by when you favor our fair corner of the world with a visit.


Domaine de Valdition
Route d'Eygalières
13660 - Orgon
Tel.: +(0)4 90 73 08 12



* As always, this is not a sponsored post - my goodness, I wish! - Just my hoping that you discover all the best that Provence has to offer...Salut! 

24 comments:

Karena Albert said...

Heather what a perfect boutique and wine tasting room right in the area!!
I would be in heaven!!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
Artist Alex Katz

Judi of Little House said...

It's all so pretty - I would probably spend most of the time in the boutique- just lovely! And, it would be 'cool'!!!! I truly love this part of France and I love how you share it all with us! Putting this one in the file for 'next time in Provence."

Loree said...

It's perfect and so beautiful. I hope that we make it to Provence one day. It is definitely on our bucket list.

robin said...

Alas, I am not favoring your corner of the world with a visit soon, but SOMEONE is! (that someone being Mom, of course!). Maybe you'll have to take her there - that boutique looks so adorable, and I believe Mom partakes in wine as well! How funny - the low lighting because of the heat! (duh!). And I'm glad you're not going cuckoo yet (YET) and that the place had moved! Maybe I'll stow away in Mom's suitcase...

Rowan said...

Heather, thanks for your post. Interesting as always! I googled the area map and also their website. What a stunningly beautiful place. Lucky girl! Hope you enjoyed a nice chilled wine (if it was white) and had a chance to relax!
Cheers,
Deborah - Melbourne

simpleimages2 said...

That’s a lot of varietals. Is that common?
I am attracted by the photo of that long path lined by trees on both sides. The path looks like it can go on forever.

RebeccaNYC said...

"harvested with love since forever" oh I love that!

quintessence said...

I remember your first visit - still intoxicating!

Judith Ross said...

Apparently your memory is pretty good -- at least when it comes to certain things! When we were in California about 8 years ago, Paul went on a tour of an organic vineyard. It sounded fascinating since every detail was thought out, including encouraging honeybee activity on the premises. Where was I, you ask? I was being a very good friend by accompanying another of our party in keeping her young son entertained. I envy your mom. Do give her a few extra daughter hugs and I don't think I need to explain why :-)

Henrik said...

Oh that late summer light, that promises, still many sunny days to come. Buy local is my motto, especially when i copmes to wine and vegetables. Drinking wine that you "found" yourself, is one of the best souvenirs. Both for sunny days, and during the tweillight of Winter. Summer in a bottle.
Henrik

Heather Robinson said...

It is pretty gorgeous, I have to admit! :)

Heather Robinson said...

Yep, this definitely belongs in the file Judi. :) I know how you love Paris but my neck of the woods isn't shabby either...

Heather Robinson said...

You will have a welcoming committee if you do!!!!!

Heather Robinson said...

Stow away! Yes! Do it! Can you imagine? We would have SO much fun. And yep, Mom called me the morning after I published this and asked, "Can we go there?" :)

Heather Robinson said...

I love that you look things up Deborah. Yes, the whole area is one of the very, very prettiest in all of Provence...and that is saying something!

Heather Robinson said...

Edgar, it is incredibly rare to have so many varietals - quite a few of them I have not heard of being grown in the South before either.

Heather Robinson said...

I certainly harvest mine with love! :)

Heather Robinson said...

Thank you so much, Stacey - and also for being such an important early supporter of Lost in Arles! It did and does mean so much to me...

Heather Robinson said...

No you don't and I will keep my promise to you to do so. xo

And she will be the first to tell you that I have a TERRIBLE memory...save for when food or vintage clothing is involved!

Heather Robinson said...

So perfectly said, Henrik! While we usually only drink rosé in the summer, it can be nice to have a glass on a sunny winters day just to remember what the promise of the year ahead will be...And we are trying to make some tomato sauce for the winter too...

jillbarth said...

Absolutely love Domaine Valdition. Had several bottles of their rosé at Château des Alpilles with my husband. By the pool in the sun, friends, a handful of almonds...incredible memory.

Jenny Rose-Innes said...

I am so happy to add this to my list of French favourites!! What a delightful way to parch your throats! Just lovely! Jenny

D A Wolf said...

For all the times I've been in France I have never gone wine tasting! You make me want to go, in Provence, and right now!

xo

Kathleen said...

Thank you for ALL your recommendations for our trip, Heather! Michael and I loved the tasting experience at Valdition, and left with three bottles of wine. We visited three of your recommended wineries, and I couldn't tell you my favorite - all fabulous. I think I left a piece of my heart in Provence. I read the beginning of your blog, and I just wanted to be back in that golden light. Good luck with the olives!